Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vejle - My Home (Part 1)

In the words of Emily Dickinson, "Where thou art - that - is Home."

There is no Exchange Student 101 class we can take or an Idiot's Guide to Living Abroad, but there are some basics we all come to learn and pass on. Home is one of them. A house isn't a home unless it has soul; so many say. The soul, though, is in the people, so in corrolation with this we say: Home is where you live. Well, I live in Vejle, Danmark, so that is my home. For the past 5½ months I have called this city home and for the next 5½ I shall continue to do so.

Vejle is not by any means a 'large' city, but it is also not the common 'small' city either. Here we live primally with two Føtex stores, a large shopping center, a train station with more than one platform, and enough art to fill a museum. Home sits nestled bellow Denmark's only gentle rolling hills, squashed up to a fjord, carefully being watched under the all seeing eyes of the great Windmill.

I won't tell you much of it now becuase, honestly, I haven't really taken any of the 'good' pictures yet. All I've done is give you a preface that includes a bunch of variously done shots of churches. However good my photography skill may or may not be, Vejle isn't just made of churches though it has three/four large ones.

So, until Day 2 - Skål (cheers)!


1 comment:

Anders said...

Really nice picture!