Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Capital of Jutland --> Århus


Århus is the second largest city in Denmark and often refered to as the "Capital of Jutland". More than 300.000 people live in the city and an additional 500.000 people in the surrounding area. It is home to more than 1.300 years of history and some of Jutland's main attractions.

My adventure of Århus (also spelled Aarhus before the spelling reform in the '70s) was one of uncharted spontaneity. After my return from Haslev (mini-stay) I came to the realization (yes, exchange is all about them) that I had seen very little of my own neighborhood. Århus is only a 40 minute train ride north (about 10 bucks one way). With that I packed a lunch, umbrella, and put on my walking shoes. It also provided an excellent opprotunity to really take my new camera for a spin.

I arrived early and just took off. I had no map and really little idea of what I wanted to see. I staid mostly around the walking street as that is the main stream area. What is truelly attractive about this city is the canel that runs right through the gågade (walking street). Buildings stand tall around cobbled ways, creating a labyrinth of shops and people. It is so European and foreign to the average American. There are times when one has to pinch oneself to really make sure they are there.

After a few hours of taking pictures (batteries last longer when you stick them in your gloves before hand :D) and walking around aimlessly following the stream of natives, I decided to conclude my ture before any casualties of the toes occured. Come to find out that I missed a lot of the good stuff during my travels. The famous Aros (art museum) Museum, and government buildings worth seeing are actually in the opposite direction of the way I went. I guess another return visit is in order.







I strongly urge you to look here for pictures of Århus. They are large images so viewn there is best. Click on slideshow and be slightly patient. Enjoy!

No comments: