Thursday, February 5, 2009

Americanism

Yesterday I went to speek to a school about myself and my country. Quite an honor to be a guest speaker of my country even though it was to only 100, give or take, students. So, I talked a little about myself, showed them some pictures of the Mojave, bored them with information about school and sports, and concluded with a little bit about being an American. Following this 40 minute or so lecture, I was asked questions. Luckily they didn't ask anything too indepth, such as what caused the financial crisis or what our president will do. Mostly the questions were of my opinion on various things included weapon possession, but one questions did stump me. Surprisingly, that questions was this:

Can you give an example of American culture?
And honestly, I couldn't. It wasn't later that someone gave me the suggestion of Thanksgiving or the fact that we tend to excentuate our holidays, but in truth, it got me thinking. Truely, what is American culture?

Wikipedia devides the Culture of the United States into literature, television, dance, visual arts, theater, cuisine, fashion, and pop culture. Wikipedia also divides society into; social class and work; race; group affiliations; technology, gadgets, and atutomobiles; rugs, alcohol and smoking; sports; food and clothing; education; languge; religion; housing; gender relations; death rituals; household arrangements; and regional variations. Are all of these things culture or just a part of culture? What is culture? Can such a thing be defined? Does it change? Can you generalize?

The answers (as stated by my opinion): All of thoes things are merely a part of culture, it is what makes up culture. Culture is just a way of life. In all reality, it can't be defined. Of course it changes. Generalizing can only be done to a certain extent.

So, American culture; a delectable mix of cultures around the world. Imagine every country's culture being a colout. Now mix all of thoes colours together. Chances are you will recieve gray - one big blob of gray. That gray - the culture of America, or at least as seen by my eyes.

No comments: