Friday, July 25, 2008

A Tourist in My Own City

I've made the last major leg of my summer journey. What began in the early days of June has slowly meandered it's way to Tennessee in the late days of July. Two months is a long time to be living out of a suitcase. I couldn't ask for a better ending to my summer thrills in the states than being a tourist in my own (new) hometown of Chattanooga/Hixson, TN.

Sure, I've visited Chattanooga before, but there's nothing like coming and knowing that everything you see will one day be called home. Grandpa and I have been enjoying the ultimate chill time with boutes of travel inbetween. The other day we went to see downtown. Boy was it great. The walking bridge that was an old railroad bridge provides great views of the area. It was a plus with the great weather we had too. After walking over the river and back again our tummies made their usual hunger noise. That's when we parked it at Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. They only serve cheeseburgers there (well, pretty much) and boast some of the best milkshakes around. It was like walking into an old dinner like atmosphere just packed to the brim with people. I have a feeling it's like that all the time. If you ever get the chance you HAVE to get a strawberry cheesecake milkshake. I'd go there just for the shake.

After filling up on some pretty awesome food we made our way around to the water and walked around. There was this awesome parking meter at the top of one of the steps that was blue with a red and white poke-a-pot pole. Really cool. There was also some strange wooden structure with a portion of railroad tracks. Grandpa is standing it in, in the picture up above. It was a great day that we ended at the aquarium. Over all a great day of being a tourist in my own city.

Tomorrow we're going to see the Lookouts, a local baseball team, play. I'm looking forward to stuffing myself with hotdogs. There are two places were hotdogs are their absolute best - camping and at the ball park. I, of course, am going to go sporting my Tampa Bay Devil Ray's hat. Thanks to Papa Fred and Deb, I've found a new liking towards baseball. Couldn't play the game to save my life, but it's enjoyable to watch.

No comments: