Wednesday, July 16, 2008

An Odd Occurence

Some one was telling me that I should do photojournalism. I'd never thought of that before and to be frank I wasn't quite sure what exactly it was. I've always thought that a picture could say more than words written by the most talented writer. A picture could be interpreted so many ways and in reality words can only say so much. So why not? I love to take pictures of random people and scenes - things that really tell a story, not just a group of people smiling in front of a building or sign.

And so a little bit of research was done through the most unreliable site on the Internet; Wikipedia. Come to find out that the first nationally organized group of newspaper photographs was in Denmark. The Danish Union of Press Photographers was founded in 1912 in Copenhagen by just 6 photographers. Today the DUPP has 800 members.

Though is just a small little something of nothing important it was the irony that I found most odd. It seems that now that I have become exposed to Denmark in the most superficial way that it pops up everywhere. There are so many things to Denmark that people just don't know about. I guess the major one is the Lego. We think of it as an all American play toy, but in fact the Lego was made in Denmark. The original Lego land is not in California, but in Denmark. It is such a small country that we tend to think that it has nothing to offer the world like a larger country, say America, would.

It just goes to prove that small countries are as capable of doing as much, if not more than any larger country. It also goes to show that sometimes odd occurrences aren't really that odd, but just a sign that you are doing the right thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Have you been unable to document your trip since Frisco? Love reading your journal but am needing more pics of what your doing. Love ya / Dad

jj.moore said...

You're telling me that you don't enjoy seeing repeats of Mario Lopez??? I've put up more posts that tell what I'm doing. Unfortunately I'm lazy and haven't finished with the Frisco documentation... gezz