Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sweet 16

Sweet 16 - the ultimate birthday, or so goes tradition. It's the year we get to drive, the year we pray our parents get us some wheels, and the year we look forward to. But why 16? Why not 18, the year we become adults, or 21, the year we can legally drink? Who knows why.

I never quite understood why we would hold such high standards for the 16th year of life so I've never looked forward to it. I never expected anything special because to me it's just another year - any other day to have an excuse to do something special with friends and family. This year, I not only turn 16 but I also embark on the adventure of a life time. It seems perfect. Some friends from home have asked me if I'll miss not having a 16 birthday in the states with my family and friends. I said "No", well I guess to be more exact, "Hell no!" How many Americans can say that they turned 16 in Denmark?

Even though I won't turn 16 until 3 August, my family has done some celebrating. While in St. Petersburg visiting my Aunt Donna, Grandma Jo, and everyone else, we decided on a dinner cruise to celebrate my birthday a little early. It was just short of cool. The sights were really awesome. Some of the homes there were amazing. I think they said something along the lines of 1.4 million dollars per level of home. That's some serious cash since some of those places were 3 floors! As we got to the mouth of the Gulf of Mexico we saw the sun set then ventured back indoors to eat a fabulous meal. It turned out to be a great night especially since it was something I'd never done before.


(just a down right perfect sunset)

The food was great as was the company. I think the sad part was that most of the music they were playing was geared towards the older age group and I actually knew a good bit of it. Who says the oldies eventually die??!! Anything can make a come back.

I think the biggest stumbling point for most people involved around what to get me. Well, I could image how hard that must have been. Most have settled on a little pocket cash which is greatly appreciated. I'm not an overly materialistic person and money can be but aside if anything for something important like college or the latest book....

16 is such a big year, and even though I'll be caught in this mad mode of transition I don't think I could ask for a better one. Now the interesting post to read will be the one I write after and concerning my birthday on the third. Y'all better look forward to it so I can be pointed out as a hypocrite when I complain.

No comments: