Friday, March 13, 2009

Flemming Efterskole

There is something special about being able to capture the attention of people by what you are saying. There is also a fulfilling feeling that warms you to the core when you are able to talk to people about what your knowledgeable about. As was mentioned before in ''Nothingness'', I went to speak to Flemming Efterskole, a boarding school about 20-30 minutes north of Vejle, to speak.

The school is home to roughly 100 give or take, mostly give, students in both ninth and tenth grade. I had the honor of speaking to all the students over a span of two days. The students are divided into two grades, then four classes within those two grades. Though it's nice to speak about myself and being a student in America, I have to say that repeating myself for an hour eight times within two days gets a little old. On the upside, I've discovered that speaking is a lot like swimming - you don't realize your incredible hungry and/or thirsty until you stop.

I'd have to say that in general, through the two high school years I've experienced, I've always hated public speaking. Not many people enjoy standing in front of their classmates presenting a project or just talking in general. One thing that has definitely changed is my tolerance for public speaking. I can honestly say that I no longer mind standing in front of people I either know or don't know to speak. There are a lot of things that you can't be as an exchange student - being shy is one of them. Being an exchange student means leaving your inhibitions behind and opting for your people-person shirt.

As a thank you for my time and effort in speaking about my life, school, and general life in America, Flemming Efterskole presented me with three free tickets to Lego Land. I can't wait for Lego Land to re-open for the 2009 season so I can use those tickets!

1 comment:

Francine St. Laurent said...

That's so nice you got to go talk to the efterskole! I lived in one in Faaborg last week and it was just so much fun! I know what you mean! As an exchange student you get used to speaking about home and what it's like being an exchange student.. you have to be outgoing. And you learn that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of you.. I think as an exchangie I've gained so much confidence!
I'm definitely jealous of your free Lego Land tickets though hehe..