Thursday, June 19, 2008

Melting in Sunny San Diego

As many of you might know, or just might not, I'm on the first leg of my summer holiday. So far, in the short six full days I have been here, many things have occurred. Saturday saw 12 hours of non-stop site-seeing at Seaworld San Diego! Seaworld offers an awesome contribution of the families of the men and women currently serving in our nations military. Any military personal can enter free along with up to 4 or 5 (I think) military dependents. This saves you around 60 big ones per person. It's a small tribute considering your just every other person once your person crosses into the park. A real contribution to the military community would be a discount on all purchasable items in the park. Unfortunately we still have to pay 5 bucks for a bottled water.

Sunday saw a few hours out and about in Balboa Park. Balboa Park is a wonderful area in down-town San Diego. Almost all of the architecture in the park is very Spanish influenced and just stunning. Unfortunately I forget to bring my camera with me and have yet to purchase another one. Pictures will be at a minimum until then. Any who, the park is filled with many museums for all ages along with a Japanese tea garden, the organ pavilion, the International Cottages, a botanical garden, miles of relaxing trails, an archery course, and tons of square lawnage for the ultimate picnic. My mom, Anna-Marie (the crazy roomie), and I took a tour through the International Cottages which was highlighting the Philippines and also viewed an exhibit on Georgia O'Keeffe and other female artists. Anna was telling us that images of both male and female reproductive organs could be found hidden in Mrs. O'Keeffe's art. I, personally, only saw colourful flowers...

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday saw fits of boredom and frustrating attempts at learning a little Danish. So far I can confidently ask any random by passer if they are tired or if they have any luggage. I suppose that might come in handy somewhere along some small, thin line. Wednesday I was able to get out and walk around Coronado for an hour or more. Coronado, for those of you who aren't familiar with San Diego geography, is a very trendy/touristy island right across San Diego Bay. For the small population reading my boring blog you might have heard of the Hotel Del, which is the focal point of Coronado. It's also known as North Island to the military community. Backtracking a little, the crazy roomie and I went to get a spa pedicure Tuesday at Fashion Nails off of Orange Ave on Coronado. Fashion Nails is the typical Vietnamese run hall way packed with people sporting naked feet and hands (I guess typically our hands are always naked....).

For now, I continue to read an extremely condensed concentration of US History, stumble along in my attempt to learn Danish, and lounge around. Tomorrow, I sleep in San Francisco.....

No comments: