Sunday, September 28, 2008

Æbelø --> Abble Island

I've just realised that I never did a post on Æbelø!! So I guess I'll do one now.

Æbelø is an island north of Fyn (island between Juttland and Zealand). I'm really not entirely sure what the island's clame to fame is, but a big highlight for me was getting there. Being an island, I'd like to tell you we took an exciting boat ride there or hopped in a puddle jumper for all of 10 minutes, but I can't. Truth be told we walked there. Now how can you walk to an island? Being the smart*ss that I am, I'd say with your two legs... The water is quite short and if you plan it right you can go at low tide so the water only comes up to about mid calf or so. I was quite skeptical at first thinking that they were joking especially because I was sure the water would be really cold. Well they weren't and you bet your bottom that water was cold.

I went bare foot because Heidi said she was and I assumed that others would also. I also assumed that if people were going bare foot then the route there would be easy walking. Boy as I wrong. Once we were out of the water we walked a kilometer over a smaller island en route to Æbelø then we walked on the strip that connected the two. We were told that there were a few more rocks and what not. I didn't think too much of it because before it was all smooth sand with some seaweed and the occational shell. ... Let's just put it this way - had my trek across that 1½ kilometer strip been video taped everyother word out of my mouth would have been "Ouch!" and "Jesus!" and "God bless frigging America!". And I'm seriously not joking. I wouldn't be surprised if it took me an hour to walk that. The crazy thing is that I was the only one like that even though there were many other bare foot walkers. Conclusion; Danes have feet made of steel!

We then got a little tour after lunch. Unfortunately lunch needs some attention. That lunch, sitting on the ground on and island somewhere in Europe was the most American meal I had had in a month. We had triangle cut sandwitches made with white bread. There were some with salami and others with cheese. Now, back to the tour. For the most part it was really awesome. The times with the explanations got a little boring, but that was just because I couldn't understand it. We saw a tree that was hollow which I suppose inspired H.C. Anderson to write a story though I'm not sure which one. Also along the walks we enjoyed snatching blackbearies from their bushes. We even saw a heard of wild deer and sheep!

On the trip back I really stopped careing whether or not I got wet, so by the time I made it to the main land I was soaked - well from the waist down. The water was also much heigher up though I think it was warmer. Of course, that could have just been my numb legs. The world may never know.


My pittiful state walking across this crushed shell and rock infested 1½ kilometer strip

Mogens and I standing by the hollow tree with Camilla and the others in the tree

Camilla is in the tree and peaking through a hole for a picture

A nice view of the curve of the island from a vista point we stopped by

NOTE: I have ordered a new camera and hopefully will get it soon so I can post more pictures and have them up sooner!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!
We have an answer for your 50 point question....Joanne speaks that language (after a bottle of wine)the translation is "Hey that dog is ugly, isn't it?"
Well, at least, that's what we saw when we read it!
So we were lookin at your pics from Vork Bakker....Dude, I didn't know that they had reindeer in Denmark? Actually your Mom said "Look, Happy Cows from California are on an exchange program too!"
HA HA HA HA HA!! LOL!
Lots of Love, we are always thinkin about you...Mom, Joanne and Annamarie
P.S. What were you guys drinkin in the hayloft of the barn...I am sure that it wasn't Mai Tai's...hee hee hee...don't tell your Grandma! :)

jj.moore said...

I think maybe a little tooo much wine. Your translation isn't quite right and what raindeer are you seeing. Last time I checked cows didn't pull santa's slay. And we were drinking water! Geezzz....

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
For the record - Anna saw reindeer - I just saw happy cows! Anyway, you look like you are having fun and learning lots, we are all so proud of you. Love ya, Mom

jj.moore said...

Maybe some different wine then, because I'm pretty sure thoes were cows...